3.07.2008

We are officially regulars!

So Tom and I walked into our favorite lunch spot today (really our only lunch spot since we're there every day) and we didn't have to order! The lady pointed at me and said "falafel and coke" and Tom was a "gyros and coke." We even knew the exact amount. It was a pretty special moment for us.

Also exciting was Tom and I "co-teaching" his class last night (he invited me to guest lecture and talk about my experiences with college and community in the United States). It turns out that there was a paper due that day, which may be why only two of the eighteen students showed up, but it ended up being a really interesting discussion. We compared the differences in University between the Czech Republic and United States. Here, you would know coming out of high school which program you want to go into, since you apply for a specific "faculty" (like a major in the U.S.) and then you only really take classes within that discipline. The two women were shocked to find out that in the States you would only usually take four classes a semester since here they take sixteen! However, since I am about to graduate with around $20,000 in student loans, I was pretty jealous that here you can go to school for free from the age of 18 to 26 (don't even get me started on their far superior maternity leave!!) Tom also asked some questions about communism which was interesting since one woman was six during the revolution and the other was 3.

And, in case you were wondering, the picture is from my walk into town today.

No comments: