4.11.2008

Cairns

A favorite pastime during Peak week is to go to "Cairn Beach" (the name is one we've made up but it's an accurate description). Whether we attempt to build massive cairns and then jump out of their way as they come crashing down, or lecture children we don't know about how it is disrespectful and mean to destroy cairns that people have worked hard on (I must get this trait from my mother who has no qualms about parenting other people's children) we can usually be amused here for several hours at a time. Since the beach is on the backside of the island we often bike past it on our way to or from the house when we're taking the long way and it's so touching to see families working on them together or just seeing what new crazy creation someone has attempted. I am proud to say that the cairn pictured is one of the few successful ones I have ever created; Mom is more of a stone maven than me so I usually watch her work with interest rather than making my own.

7 comments:

Nicole said...

Lulu, I didn't know what a cairn was before reading this. I like the word and your stone structures. I looked it up at Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairn
There are some cool photos there.

It sounds like you have a really nice family.

Lauren said...

Yeah I think cairns started as something done by hikers, as trail markers or at the top of mountains just to show you've been there.

I do have a great family, Peaks is also wonderful though because we bring out all our friends too (a lot of them we wish were family) and it just becomes a big weeklong celebration.

Nicole said...

Sounds really fun. Will you go this year?

Lauren said...

Definitely! We're getting the same house we always do so we're close to the starfish pools. It should be even more fun this year, my grandparents are coming as well and some of my undergrad friends and possibly my boyfriend if he can get the time off from work. There's nothing like cooking breakfast or a lobster dinner for 20 people!

Nicole said...

Sounds amazing! Can I come? ;-)

Lauren said...

Hehe, the more the merrier is our Peaks philosophy!

Nicole said...

Uh oh! Well you never know.... hehe!