I got up early this morning to take my Mom to the airport (she is going to Greece by way of Vienna and yes, I am burning with jealousy!) and decided that since my schedule of upcoming events is completely arbitrary I am going to start the Mount Desert Island goodness early.
For a little background information on the island...
My family and I moved to MDI when I was two and lived in Southwest Harbor which is in the "Quiet side" of the island. During high school my Mom and I moved to southern Maine at the same time that my older sister went to college. The pictures I'll be sharing on the blog were taken during my junior year of high school when I drove back to the island to do a photography assignment.
Now to set some things straight:
1. While it is spelt D-e-s-e-r-t it is pronounced like D-e-s-s-e-r-t (visitors who try to correct natives on how it is pronounced will not be well received!)
2. The national park that has a great deal of land on the island is Acadia, not Arcadia
3. If you are visiting Mount Desert Island, know that's where you are going (you would be surprised the number of times people have told me that they have not visited the island but they have stayed in Bar Harbor, since Bar Harbor happens to be ON Mount Desert Island this just makes them sound a little ignorant)
4. Under no circumstances should you attempt to speak in a horrendous Maine accent, nor should you insist on calling it "Bah Hahbah" (no one will find this amusing, except for perhaps you and it is guaranteed to get you bad service and icy looks wherever you go)
5. If you make it to MDI, enjoy it because you will be in one of the most beautiful places in America!!